If you do NOT see the Table of Contents frame to the left of this page, then
Click here to open 'USArmyGermany' frameset
U.S. ARMY INSTALLATIONS - DARMSTADT
OBER-RAMSTADT DEPOT
CSG COMPOUND
NATHAN HALE QM AREA
For additions, corrections, or suggestions please contact the webmaster
MAPS
 
Installation Maps

1. Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, 1970s

2. Kelly Barracks, 1970s

3. Ernst Ludwig Kaserne, 1970s Annotated: mid-1960s;

4. Babenhausen Kaserne, 1980s

5. Münster Kaserne, 1980s

6. Ober-Ramstadt Depot, 1980s



 

1980

Topographical maps of Darmstadt and surrounding area. These maps are reproduced from the "U.S. Military Installation Atlas" published by the 37th Transportation Group in 1980.

Click on the thumbnail to view a larger format of the same map.

Click here for a list of the installations.

Darmstadt (KB)


TELEPHONE DIRECTORIES
NOTE: I plan to post extracts from the "Troop Units" section of the telephone directories sometime in the near future - if I see that there is any interest.

1. Darmstadt Telephone Directory, 15 February 1948

2. Frankfurt (incl Darmstadt), 1 March 1952

3. NACOM Telephone Directory, 15 February 1956
 

COMMAND AND COMMUNITY NEWSPAPERS
NOTE: Click on thumbnail of newspaper to read the entire issue.
About Town - Some of the issues published while in Germany

1. About Town - March 10 1982





 
PHOTOS
Click on thumbnail to view larger image

Darmstadt Kasernes

 

A. Ernst Ludwig Kaserne

B. Ernst Ludwig Kaserne

C. Freiherr von Fritsch Kaserne

D. Freiherr von Fritsch Kaserne

E. Cambrai Kaserne


 


   
Cambrai-Fritsch Ksn
Photos #4-8 courtesy Hector Jalomo, 440th Sig Bn. For more - see his website
   

Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, Darmstadt (Mike Smith)
 

Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, Darmstadt (Mike Smith)
 

Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, Darmstadt (Mike Smith)
 

1. Aerial view of Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, May 1950

2. Aerial view of Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, March 1958
Click here to supersize

3. Satellite view of CFK, 2002 (see Links)


4.
Getting ready for inspection


5.
Vehicle park nearby

6.
Looking towards the NW

7.
CFK Theater

8.
Sgt Howes
   
       

Air Force barracks, 6910th Scty Wing, on CFK, 1967 (Jack Wetzler)


   
Ernst Ludwig Ksn

   

3. Aerial view of Ernst Ludwig Kaserne, May 1950

2.
Aerial of ELK, 1957 (KB)
Click here to supersize


3. Satellite view of Ernst Ludwig Ksn (closed), 2002 (see Links)
 

4.
Laid out for inspection (KB)


5.
Buses being loaded for trip (KB)

6.
Post gym (KB)

7.
Motor park (KB)

8.
Line up for chow (KB)


9.
"Column left - march" (KB)

10. Arms "at trail" in front of barracks
(KB)

11.
WWII bullet holes still visible (KB)

12.
M-8 track (KB)


13.
Towed howitzers covered (KB)
   

14.
ELK Main Gate, 2000 (KB)


15.
ELK, 2000 (KB)

16.
ELK, 2000 (KB)
 


   
Kelly Bks

   

Kelly Barracks main gate, Darmstadt, 1987
 

Kelly Barracks, Darmstadt (Mike Smith)
 

Kelly Barracks, Darmstadt (Mike Smith)
 

1. Aerial view of Leibgarde (Kelly) Kaserne (foreground) with QM Supply Area in the center, May 1950 (108 KB)

2. Satellite view of Kelly Bks and Nathan Hale QM Area, 2002 (see Links)
   


   
Babenhausen Ksn

   


Aerial of Babenhausen Kaserne, prob early 1960s (Cekade Luftbild, no date)

     

1.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1962

2. Aerial, 2007
Click here to supersize

3.
Aerial, 2007

4.
Aerial, 2007

   

2nd Bn, 5th FA headquarters building, 1981 (Jeff Brokovich)
 

Officers Club, Babenhausen Kaserne, 1981 (Jeff Brokovich)
 

Barracks, Babenhausen Kaserne, 1981 (Jeff Brokovich)
 

5.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981

6.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981

7.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981

8.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981

9.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981

10.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981

11.
Babenhausen Ksn, 1981
 
 
   
Stars & Stripes Compound
     

Griesheim Army Airfield and STARS & STRIPES Compound,
prob early 1960s (393 KB)
 

STARS & STRIPES, Griesheim, 1952
 

1. Satellite view of STARS & STRIPES Compound, 2002 (see Links)

2. Aerial view Stars & Stripes Compound, Griesheim, around 1960
   
       
Griesheim AAF

   

Darmstadt Army Airfield, Griesheim (Mike Smith)
 

1. Aerial, 2007 (KB)

2. Satellite view of Griesheim AAF with old NIKE site, 2002 (see Links)
   

3. Aerial, 2007 (KB)

4. Missile hangar (KB)

5. Section bunker (KB)

6. Warhead buildiong (KB)

7. (KB)

8. (KB)
   


   
Münster Kaserne

   

1.
184th Ord Co bldg (KB)

2. Barracks (KB)

3. Front of barracks building (KB)

4. Chow hall (KB)

5.
AAFES Shoppette (KB)

6. Recreation center (KB)



7. Main gate, early 1950s

8.
Bobby Dean McGinnis

9. Buddies

10.
Munster ASP

USMCA Darmstadt (APO 09175) - Garrison History & Operations
 
USMCA Darmstadt insignia

 
Auf Wiedersehen Darmstadt
(Official Inactivation Date for U.S. Army Garrison Darmstadt is Sept 30, 2008)

Garrison holds inactivation ceremony - article on the USAG Darmstadt Page, European Region, IMCOM

Darmstadt Garrison History - compiled by USAG Darmstadt

Transformation and Closure Homepage - Latest information on the closure of USAG Darmstadt

STARS & STRIPES to relocate from Griesheim to Kaiserslautern
 
Darmstadt Military Community & Military Post
 
(Source: STARS & STRIPES, April 28, 1948)
HQ Command, EUCOM has announced that effective July 1, the Darmstadt Military Post will be discontinued and its area of responsibility will be incorporated into Frankfurt Military Post (FMP).

All units, funds, property and other assets of the Darmstadt Military Post will be transferred to FMP.

FMP will be responsible for military security, troop command, administration and other functions previously performed by the Darmstadt Military Post.

 
Darmstadt Sub-Post
 
 

HISTORIES & MISC. INFORMATION
 
HISTORY OF THE DARMSTADT INSTALLATIONS

Source: DoD Installations, (2000?)

http://www.afcrossroads.com/dodinstall/usa.htm

The history of Darmstadt's kasernes dates back to the early 1900's.
Cambrai Fritsch was built in 1936 and was originally two kasernes. The western part called Cambrai Kaserne named after a tank battle which took place in Cambrai, France during World War I. The eastern part was Fritsch Kaserne named after General Werner von Fritsch, the commanding general of the German Army in 1935. In March 1945, the US Army took over the kaserne. The US Army Quartermaster school was housed here until 1950.

Both Kelley Barracks and Ernst Ludwig Kaserne were constructed in 1934 as cavalry barracks. Ernst Ludwig Kaserne (now closed) was named in honor of Hessen Duke Ernst-Ludwig. The US Army took the area over in 1948. Kelly Barracks (originally called Leibgarde Kaserne or Body Guard Barracks) was named in honor of CPT Charles Kelley who was killed in World War II. In March 1945, an American constabulary unit took over and was later replaced by an engineer battalion. The US Army also took possession of Nathan Hale Depot in 1945 which was built in 1936 as a food supply depot and bakery.

The Griesheim Airfield area was used as far back as 1850 to train Hessen troops. During World War I, it was a prisoner of war camp. The German Air Force began using the area in March 1936. The buildings now occupied by the Stars & Stripes newspaper were constructed in 1936. The US Army took over in 1945 and in 1949 the Stars & Stripes moved in and published the first edition of its newspaper on 28 September 1949.

The construction of Babenhausen Kaserne began in 1900. The French occupied the kaserne from 1918 to 1920. Following the invasion of Poland, the kaserne became a military hospital. During 1945 and 1946, the US Army used it as a Prisoner of War (POW) and repatriation camp for German soldiers from southern Hesse. In 1946, it was used as a United Nations refugee camp for Slavic Freedom fighters and refugees fleeing the Soviet take over of their homeland.

The US Military Community Activity Darmstadt (USMCA) was formally established in 1974. It encompasses an area of 2245 square kilometers (867 square miles). On 1 October, 1991, the former USMCA Darmstadt became the 233d Base Support Battalion (233d BSB) under the umbrella of the 103d Area Support Group (ASG) headquartered in Frankfurt. On 1 October, 1993, the 103d ASG was deactivated and the 233d BSB was taken under the 104th ASG in Hanau until 30 September, 1998, when it became part of the 26th ASG headquarter in Heidelberg.
 
Babenhausen Kaserne   (Source: 36th Field Artillery Group, 1953)
WWII Built in 1901, the kaserne was put to varied use during WWII, including as a prisoner of war labor center.
Immediate post WWII Heavily damaged during the closing months of the war, the kaserne became a Displaced Persons camp for a short while after the war.
Late 1945 German prisoners of war were screened and processed for release through the Babenhausen Kaserne.
1947 The kaserne became a DP camp again, this time primarily for Jews, many of whom were refugees from the Far East.
early 1950s? The kaserne was designated as a semi-permanent US military post; complete reconstruction of the buildings and grounds was begun.
16 May 1951 Headquarters 36th Field Artillery Group relocated to Babenhausen Kaserne from Sonthofen
15 Feb 1953 The last of 10 apartment buildings is completed and opened for occupancy; these were build to house the dependents of servicemen stationed at Babenhausen. By 1953, a total of 192 families, totaling over 400 dependents, were housed in the Family Housing Area.

Related Links:
233rd Base Support Battalion - (provides base support to the Darmstadt area today)
6911th Radio Group, Mobile (USAF), Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne (1949 - 1961, 1963 - 1972, under different designations)
Ernst Ludwig Kaserne Home of the 553rd Field Artillery Battalion (later redesignated 3rd Bn, 18th Artillery), 1956-1963.
Satellite Images of Darmstadt and surroundings - Official Darmstadt City web site (go to "Stadtplan" section)
Babenhausen Veterans - Lars Hagen has started a nice web site that covers Babenhausen Kaserne and the 36th FA Group in the 1960s.
The Red Scarf Club - This web site is dedicated to veterans, dependents and others associated with the 553rd Field Artillery Battalion at Darmstadt between 1956-1958.
Forgotten Memories - Dan Nisto has created a wonderful Photo Page that he keeps updating as he visits abandoned, and now almost forgotten US military installations in Germany.