If you do NOT see the Table of Contents frame to the left of this page, then
Click here to open 'USArmyGermany' frameset
U.S. ARMY INSTALLATIONS - HEILBRONN
 

MAPS
Installation Maps - late 1970s

1. Wharton Bks, Heilbronn (155 KB)

2. Wharton Bks, Heilbronn (167 KB)

3. Dolan Bks, Schwäbisch Hall (217 KB)

 
 
 

PHOTOS
Click on thumbnail to view larger image

Heilbronn Kasernes

 

A. Priesterwald Kaserne, Heilbronn

B. Schlieffen Kaserne, Heilbronn

C. Ludendorff Kaserne, Heilbronn
D. Ludendorff Kaserne, Heilbronn

E. Priesterwald Kaserne, Heilbronn

F. Schlieffen Kaserne, Heilbronn

G. Ludendorff Kaserne, Heilbronn
 

1. Wharton Bks, Heilbronn, 1952 (100 KB)

2. Wharton Bks, Heilbronn, 1958 (76 KB)


3. Wharton Bks, Heilbronn, 1960 (118 KB)
 



 
Neckarsulm      

A. Artillerie Ksn, Neckarsulm

B. Artillerie Ksn, Neckarsulm

 

1. Artillery Ksn, Neckarsulm, 1955 (KB)

2. Artillery Ksn, Neckarsulm, 2001


3. Artillery Ksn, around 1960 (KB)
Click here for picture with ID of buildings
 



 
Schwäbisch Hall      

Former Dolan Barracks & Airfield, 2006

1. Hangar

2. Insignia


3. Back of hangar


4. Back of Hangar

5. Airfield Tower

6.
Bldg 444

7.
Bldg 444

9. Bldg 444

10. Bldg 444

8. Bldg 330







 
Siegelsbach      

1. Main Gate, 1956

2. Leisure time in front of "A" Company barracks, 1956

3. "A" Company barracks, 1956

4. Barracks, 1956

5. Post, 1956

6. "A" Co headquarters on right, 1956

7. 9th Ord Bn headquarters on right, 1956
 

HISTORIES & MISC. INFORMATION
 
HISTORY OF Dolan Barracks
 
(Source: SENTINEL, May 7 1993)
Dolan gets ready for handover

by Lt. Col. (Ret.) George Finley
Former installation commander and Dolan Barracks Historian

During World War II, Dolan Barracks was a German airfield and home of the world's first production line jets, the Messerschmidt 262 fighters.

But once Allied intelligence discovered the presence of the jets, the air field was heavily bombed and the first US. Forces occupied the base after the war. The post was named Camp Dolan and then Dolan Barracks in honor of 2nd Lt. John Dolan, 3rd Platoon, Company C, 771st Tank Battalion, who was awarded the Silver Star at St. Toenis March 2, 1945.

In 1946 the 771st Tank Bn., was redesignated as the 15th Constabulary Squadron, and was responsible for helping distribute food, enforce laws of the occupation and bring grass roots democracy to a demoralized Germany. (Webmaster Note: Actually, the 71st Con Sq was located at Dolan in 1946 and then redesignated as the 15th Con Sq in 1947.)

In 1948, the 5th Artillery Battalion, came to Dolan and was the only battalion in the US Army with a "D" Battery. Battery D is the oldest unit in the Army, having a lineage of uninterrupted service since 1776.

During the 1960's, the principle units were the 46th Medical Battalion, and the 126th Maintenance and Support Battalion. The 18th Medical Detachment, also there at the time, was the longest occupant of Dolan Barracks.

In the fall of 1966 the air field became fully operational with the arrival of the 60th Aviation Company, a part of the 15th Aviation Group. The arrival of the aviation units generated intense dialogue between the aviation units and the German communities over aircraft noise.

Many units came and went, among them the 15th Aviation Group, which became the 11th Aviation Brigade, and moved to Illesheim in 1988. Also, the USAREUR Aviation Standardization Board was at Dolan from 1969 to 1984. Their mission was to certify pilots for duty in USAREUR.

Other units at Dolan in the 1980's were the 223rd Aviation Battalion, and the 203rd Aviation Company, which was redesignated the 6th Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment. They were part of Operation Provide Comfort and then moved to Giebelstadt in 1992.

Company A, 5th Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment stayed at Dolan from 1970 to 1993. The 3rd Battalion, 58th Aviation Regiment will soon move to its new station in Wiesbaden.

The 101st Ordnance Battalion, moved from Heilbronn in 1989 and will be inactivated at Dolan's post closing in June.

The post will be turned over to the German authorities on Sept. 30 (1993).

 
HISTORY OF Artillery Kaserne
 
(Source: Email from Wolfram Hietschold)
I wanted to tell you that, unfortunatley, the Artillerie Kaserne, former home of the 46th Artillery Group, has been completely torn down by now. The area is now a business area.

 
(Source: Heilbronn Community Circle, Dec 17 1984)
LIST OF UNITS STATIONED IN HEILBRONN AREA - Dec 1984

Related Links:
Schwäbisch Hall Page - one of many pages on the Bernhard Weiss' outstanding Fliegerhorste (military airfields) web site. Schwäbisch Hall Page has been totally revamped!!
  Schwäbisch Hall Page - one of many pages on the Bernhard Weiss' outstanding Fliegerhorste (military airfields) web site. Schwäbisch Hall Page has been totally revamped!!  
  Waldheide Als Pershing Standort - in German - material prepared by Dr.Erhard Jöst from the city archives of Heilbronn regarding Waldheide and the Pershing Missile deployment (slant is towards "Friedensbewegung").  
  A photo series about the US Army presence in the area on the Helbronner Stimme (local newspaper) website.