(Source: A Brief History of the 299th Engineer Battalion (Combat), (c 1989), LTC Cortez C. Aylor III)
On 3 December 1954, the 299th Engineer Battalion was activated in Hoechst, Germany. During its entire 9-year stay in Germany, the battalion was headquartered at McNair Barracks.
In July 1958 the battalion joined Task Force 201 and headed for Beirut, Lebanon, returning in September to Germany
In September 1963, the Battalion relocated to Fort Gordon Ga.