(Source: Webmaster's collection)
The Post Hotel: this historic hotel located on the Marktplatz in Garmisch was requisitioned by the US Army in April 1945 and was used as an officer hotel for members of Allied forces on leave in Garmisch. The hotel was original constructed in 1639 as a depot for stages traveling between Italy and northern Germany. The historic wood carvings, paintings, carved bar and stained glass windows had been left intact. The US Army performed continual maintenance and restoration on the hotel during the time that it was operated by the Garmisch Recreation Center. In October 1953, the hotel was released by the US Army and returned to its German owner.