If you do NOT see the Table of Contents frame to the left of this page, then
Click here to open 'USArmyGermany' frameset
U.S. ARMY INSTALLATIONS - BAD KREUZNACH
 

MAPS
Installation Maps - late 1970s

1. Rose Barracks, 1970s

2. Minick Kaserne, 1970s

3. George C. Marshall Kaserne, 1970s


4. Bad Kreuznach Army Hospital, 1970s

5. De La Marne Kaserne, 1970s

6. Bad Kreuznach Army Airfield, 1970s

7. Rose Barracks


 

8. Anderson Barracks

9. QM and R&U Area

10. Marne Kaserne
 

1980

Topographical maps of Bad Kreuznach and surrounding area. These maps are reproduced from the "U.S. Military Installation Atlas" published by the 37th Transportation Group in 1980.

Click on the thumbnail to view a larger format of the same map.

Click here for a list of the installations.

Bad Kreuznach (KB)

1990s 

Topographical map of Bad Kreuznach. This map was provided by Rodrigo Gebhard, Germany.

Click on the thumbnail to view a larger format of the same map.

List of Installation:
1. Marshall Kaserne
2. Bad Kreuznach AAF
3. Minick Kaserne
4. Rose Barracks
5. Housing Area
6. Hospital Kaserne
7. Rheingrafenstein LTA



Bad Kreuznach (KB)
 

2001

After the last units had left the community, a stone memorial was erected by the City of Bad Kreuznach to commemorate the friendships developed over the past 50 years between the US Army and the local German populace. (Image submitted by Rodrigo Gebhard, Germany)


PHOTOS
Click on thumbnail to view larger image

Bad Kreuznach Kasernes  

 

A. Des Gouttes Kaserne

B. Hindenburg Kaserne

C. Hindenburg Kaserne
 

1. Main Gate, 1961

2. Inside Des Gouttes Kaserne, "A" Battery personnel enjoying a Saturday in the Summer of 1961

3. Looking north from the main gate, AutoHaus Walter von Hoff
4. Mess Hall (left side of bldg) and EES facilities

5. 580th Engineer Company barracks

6. MP (and others) barracks in bldg on left

7. Retreat Ceremony
 

8. Former BK Hospital, 2005

9. Main gate, BK Hospital, 2005

10. BK Hospital, 2005
 

11. BK Hospital, 2005

12. Main entrance, BK Hospital, 2005

13. Barracks, BK Hospital, 2005
 

14. BOQ (?), 2005
     

14. Family Housing, 2005

15. Family Housing, 2005

16. Family Housing, 2005

17. Family Housing, 2005

18. Family Housing, 2005

19. Family Housing, 2005

20. Family Housing, 2005

21. Family Housing, 2005

22. Family Housing, 2005

Family Housing map, 1980s
Index of facilities

Satellite View, BK Housing
 

23. Former Rheingrafenstein Storage Area, 2005

24. Former Rheingrafenstein Storage Area, 2005

25. Former Rheingrafenstein Storage Area, 2005
 

26. Former Rheingrafenstein Storage Area, 2005

27. Former Rheingrafenstein Storage Area, 2005


28. Location of Storage Area, 1957

 

29. Main gate, 2006

30. Barracks bldg, 2006

31. Former NCO Club

32. Post chapel

33. RTO, 2006

34. RTO, 2006
   

35. Warehouse

36. Warehouses

37. Barracks

38. QM Laundry?

39. Barracks

40. Motor pool

41. Gas station

42. Tracks to railhead

8th Infantry Division Headquarters, Rose Barracks, 1959
 

8th Infantry Division Headquarters, Rose Barracks, 1967
 

Installation Map with Sat view
 
 

44. Main gate

45. Main gate

46. Main gate

47. Main gate

48. Bldg 5300

49. Bldg 5300

50. Bldg 5300

51. Bldg 5300

52. Bldg 5300

53. Bldg 5301

54. Bldg 5301

55. Bldg 5301

56. Bldg 5302

57. Bldg 5302

58. Bldg 5303

59. Bldg 5303
 

Rose Barracks, c. 1958
 

Leonard Yniguez, A Co, 20th Trans Bn, walks past the entrance to the Snack Bar, 1961
 

60. Bldg 5303

61. Bldg 5304

62. Bldg 5304

63. Bldg 5304

64. Bldg 5304

65. Bldgs 5304, 5306 & 5328

66. Bldg 5305

67. Bldg 5305

68. Bldgs 5305 & 5306

69. Bldg 5306

70. Clock tower

71. Bldg 5309

72. Bldg 5309

73. Bldg 5309 & Rose Theater

74. Rose Theater

75. Rose Theater & motor pool

76.

77. Bldg 5325

78. Bldg 5325

79.

80. Motor pool

81. Motor pool

82. Motor pool

83. Motor pool

80. Motor pool

81. Bldg 5339

82. Bldg 5348

83. Motor pool across Alzeyerstrasse

80. NCO Club

81. NCO Club



Bad Kreuznach QM and R&U Area, 1953 (Webmaster's collection)
(If you have additional maps, photos or information on the QM and R&U Area from the 1950s, I would
like to hear from you!  Falls Sie ein deutscher Angestellter waren, können Sie auch gerne auf deutsch schreiben.)
 

20th Transportation Battalion motor pool, Rose Barracks, 1960
 


81. Bldg 5331

82. Bldg 5331

83. Bldg 5331

84. Perimeter road

85. Bldg 5332

86. Bldg 5332

87. Bldg 5333, mess hall

88. Bldg 5333

89. Bldg 5333

90. Bldg 5334

91. Bldg 5334

92. Bldg 5335

93. Bldg 5325




   

Bingen Kaserne

 

Marne Kaserne at Bingen, 1953 (Webmaster's Collection)
(If you have additional maps, photos or information on De La Marne Kaserne from the 1950s, I would
like to hear from you!  Falls Sie ein deutscher Angestellter waren oder bei der Labor Service gedient
haben, können Sie auch gerne auf deutsch schreiben.)
 

De La Marne Kaserne at Bingen, mid-1950s
 

1. Bingen aerial (KB)
     


   

Dexheim Kaserne  

 

Oppenheim Cantonment (Anderson Barracks), Dexheim, 1953
 

Anderson Barracks, Dexheim, c. 1954
 

Anderson Barracks, Dexheim (Mike Smith)
 

1.
Anderson Barracks, 1960

2.
View from IFC guard shack

3.
B 1-5 barracks, USO Club and gym

4. Pay Meyers

5.
Post gym

6.
PX and Snack Bar, middle

7.
Gooch next to car made of plywood

8.
Mess Hall

9.
Ron Meyer

10.
Barracks buildings

11.
B 1-5 deuce-and-a-half

12.
12th Engr Bn HQ bldg

13. USO Club
     

USMCA Bad Kreuznach (APO 09111) - Garrison History & Operations
 

HISTORIES & MISC. INFORMATION
 
HISTORY OF THE BAD KREUZNACH INSTALLATIONS

Source: 410th Base Support Battalion files (former Bad Kreuznach MILCOM), 1992
ROSE BARRACKS  
12 November 1937 The City of Bad Kreuznach officially becomes a garrison of the German Wehrmacht. The German soldiers are housed in emergency quarters pending the construction of suitable billets.
23 October 1938 Construction of kaserne/billets is completed and named Hindenburg Kaserne.
March 1945 Hindenburg Kaserne is evacuated by the German Wehrmacht soldiers. Between 16-18 March, US forces take and occupy Bad Kreuznach. They move into Hindenburg Kaserne.
March - July, 1945 US forces are stationed in Hindenburg Kaserne and perform occupation duties.
10 July, 1945 Bad Kreuznach becomes part of the French Occupation Zone in Germany. The French Army moves into Hindenburg Kaserne recently vacated by the US troops and renames the installation Marshal Foch Caserne.
July 1951 The US 2nd Armored Division takes over the kaserne and renames it Maurice Rose Kaserne, in honor of MGen Maurice Rose, a hero of WWII.
December 1957 The 2nd Armd Div is replaced by the 8th Infantry Division under the "Gyroscope" program.
17 January 1992 The 8th Inf Div (Mech) is inactivated as part of the US drawdown in Europe. The division is then redesignated as the 1st Armored Division which had previously been located in Ansbach in Bavaria.
 
MINICK KASERNE  
WWI After World War I (1914-1918), French troops occupy Bad Kreuznach and the area left of the Rhine River. They stay in Bad Kreuznach until 1930 and build the town's first barracks, Des Gouttes Caserne.
1968 Des Gouttes Kaserne is renamed John W. Minick Kaserne. Minick was killed in action in November 1944.
 
HOSPITAL KASERNE  
1929 The building complex on Franziska-Puricelli-Strasse is ereceted as a catholic home for children.
WWII The original structures including the chapel are taken over by the German Wehrmacht at the outset of World War II as a military hospital.
March 1945 When the 4th Armored Division and the 1303rd Engineer Battalion of Gen Patton's Third US Army occupy Bad Kreuznach between 16-18 March 1945, US Army medical troops take over the installation as a field hospital. American as well as German wounded soldiers are hospitalized there and treated.
July 1945 The field hospital is turned over to medical authorities of the French Army.
July 1951 The hospital reverts back to the US military as the 2nd Armored Division assumes responsibility for the Bad Kreuznach area. The installation is now called the 14th Field Hospital.
post 1951 US Army constructs additional buildings in Hospital Kaserne.
 
MARSHALL KASERNE  
1951-52 The kaserne was constructed with DM funds to be able to supply and support all units located in the Bad Kreuznach Military Sub-Post. For some 20 years it did not have a name but was referred to as "Sub-Post" or "R&U and QM Area."
mid-1970s The facility was renamed Marshall Kaserne in honor of general and statesman George C. Marshall (1880-1959).
 
ANDERSON BARRACKS  
Aug 1951 Construction of the kaserne was begun. The facility was completed in 1953.
30 May 1953 The facility was named after Technical Sergeant Fourth Class Ameth Anderson, a WWII hero.
1953-54 Anderson Barracks is home of the 17th Armored Engineer Bn (2nd Armd Div).
1954-91 Anderson Barracks is home of the 12th Engr Bn (8th Inf Div).

 
  Service Station next to Dependent Housing in Bad Kreuznach, 1954
     
   

 
(Source: Installation Management Command, Europe Region website)

Short History of Dexheim Anderson Baracks

  • Anderson Barracks, Dexheim was established in 1951.
  • Missile Station (Nike Site) was built 2 years later.
  • During the following years several Facilities were added.
  • In 1953 the 17th Engineer Battalion moved to Dexheim.
  • In 1957 the 17th Engineer Battalion was replaced by the 12th Engineer Battalion.
  • The 123rd Maintenance Battalion came after the 12th Engineer Battalion.
  • In 1983 the Dexheim Missile Site was deactivated.
  • This Facility was later used as a Storage area.
  • During the same year, 1983, the Health Clinic was built.
  • In 1984/85 the Patriot Site (up on Hill) changed it's function. New Troop Billets, HQ Building and Motor pool with workshops was built.
  • Between the years 1987/89 the Elementary School has been upgraded and enlarged.
  • During the same years the townhouses, Building No 6400 to 6417 were constructed.
  • During 1988 to 1990 the new Commissary was built.

Related Links:
6912th Radio Squadron, Mobile (USAF), Bingen (1955 - 1958?) - Broken Link
8th Infantry Division - Broken Link
  Rodrigo Gebhard personal website - Rodrigo is a frequent contributor to the usarmygermany website. He is a resident of Bad Kreuznach and veteran of the German Air Force. His website includes a lot of great photos of all the former US Army installations in BK as well as some interesting pages on NATO air defense radar and command and control sites in southern Germany.  
  8th Infantry Division Veterans - Steven J. Dong and Jimmy Cohea are the moderators of this Facebook Page for former members of the Pathfinder Division and their families.